Thursday, July 23, 2009

Introduction to Things Above

Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things.
Colossians 3:2

I’ve been thinking about this verse and really dwelling on it lately …. Firstly, ‘cause God’s been layin’ it on my heart … but secondly, because so many things in my life are changing. And change is rough. Change is inevitable. And change is, like I already said, difficult. I have close friends who are getting married, moving away, taking on new ventures in their lives …. and then there’s me! I’m graduating from college in 5 months … I’m taking a dreaded test that will determine whether or not I get to live out my heart’s greatest desire a few weeks after I graduate …. I’ve recently been asked to take over my youth group, but I’m wondering if that’s really where God wants me. So many doubts have been flooding my spirit. And with all the change … and hurts over the past couple of years, I’m just worn out. God is faithful, so I’m overcoming … but it’s been a rough ride.

Alright, so there’s the back story. Back to my initial thought. I’ve been dwelling on Colossians 3:2 in the midst of all this change. And it really helps put my focus in the right place. When we set our minds on things above, that means we are dwelling on Jesus and the things He cares about. In thinking about these things (the things God cares about), I’ve come to a conclusion. Sure, there are several conclusions we can draw from this idea of setting our minds on things above …. But this is what I’ve got.

In setting our minds on things above, we are focusing on God, yes … but also His standards for our lives. When we decide to pay close attention to His commands and desires for our lives, we begin to see things from His perspective … and begin to really and truly set our minds on things above.

So … in the next couple of posts, I’d like to share with you some standards that God has set before us. After pondering Colossians 3:2 for some time, I decided to re-read 1 and 2 Corinthians and pick it apart … find all those standards God’s got in store for us. I finished reading and, in some ways, dissecting these two books 3 or 4 months ago now … but God is still pressing them upon my heart. My youth group and I are also going through these books chapter by chapter every week as well. So check these out with me, will you? Stay tuned for a look into God’s word!

No comments: