Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Your Life is Hidden with Christ in God"

I've been really stuck on this idea of "setting our minds on things above."
I really, really think God wants me to grab hold of this powerful concept and make it my own.
So ... by way of doing that, I've been trying to memorize Colossians 3:1-17.
If you haven't read this recently, go back and read it again - right now, if you can!
It's amazing stuff!
I've been taking one verse a week ... I'm on verse four this week.
And as I dedicate more time to memorizing and meditating on these words, I am renewed.
I've been struggling ... and ...
I am pushing.
I am pressing in.
I am striving.
I am fighting ... it's an internal battle that's been raging for what seems like forever.
But I can't give up.
And in not giving up but pressing in to Jesus, I find renewal in the promises of His word.
As I dwell on these verses more and more, I learn to come to conclusions about who God wants me to be and how He wants me to live ... for Him.
And that's where the promises come from.
And it's been so rewarding searching out these promises.

One of my heart's greatest desires is to live wholly for Jesus, to not be distracted by my pain, my trials, my worries, my sin ... I just want to live for Jesus and focus on him .... instead of worrying all the time.

Colossians 3:3 has a promise that I get excited about!
The context is needed to find the promise .... 
The previous verse says ... "Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things."
There's the command.
And when we "set our mind on things above," we get the promise that comes in verse 3.
"For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God."
When we set our mind on things above, we are hidden in Christ.

Here are some thoughts I wrote down a few days ago ....
Colossians 3:3 - "For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God."
~ "You have died" - meaning, the old self has died ... been kicked out! ... so that the new self can move in and take over!  Yes!
~ "Your life is hidden with Christ in God" - meaning, you are so consumed with Jesus that you are not distracted by what happens in the world ... or in your life.
~ When we truly put on the new self, we are focused on Christ - it's like we're hidden from our worries, our problems, and our sin .... so much so that we don't get distracted by anything else.

And that's all I need to remember. :)


2 comments:

bmhs said...

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you, Mical. I went back and read Colossians 3:1-17 right away, right before I dug into what you wrote. Wonderful truths and promises.

Christ, who is our LIFE.
Life!
Life!

:D
Alex

bmhs said...

New blog style, eh?