Friday, November 28, 2008

God, Grant Me ....

Just a quick thought for today. :)

I was walking in my hallway upstairs on my way to my bedroom this morning, and I noticed a scroll laying on my mom's big "pirate chest," as I like to call it. She decorated our upstairs with beach/ship kinds of stuff. We have a huge chest (it looks like there's tons of treasure inside ... too bad it's just dust) with a captain's wheel and a tiny ship and fish net set up in our hallway upstairs, and on top of the chest lies a scroll with this written on it .....

"God grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

It's a simple saying ... a well-known saying .... and this scroll is gathering dust on that huge pirate chest .... it's been there for years. So why did it grab my attention today? Well ... there are a couple of things in my life that I really want to change. I want to change them so badly that I ache on a regular basis. I am continually surrendering them over to God, but there is still an ache. I'm sure the ache won't be gone until they are completely surrendered. That's usually how God works. ;) ... So yeah ... serenity ... I had to look that word up. It means "calmness of mind; peace." Lord, give me peace to wait on your timing ... not to try and change things ... but simply wait on your timing and live out my calling to the best of my ability while I wait.

Are you waiting on God for some things? Do you want to change some things in your life right now? .... If so ... join the club! ........ But let's keep trusting God for those things instead of worrying about 'em. Let's keep surrendering them. Each and every day.

I was just reading tonight in 1 Peter .... 1 Peter 5:7 says .... "Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." ......... Whatever it is you want to change .... give it to Jesus. He cares about you. He cares about the condition your heart is in. Keep trusting Him. Keep giving everything to Him. And just take it one day at a time. That's what I've been doing and will continue to do ... until I get it right! Or until Jesus comes back! Whichever comes first! ;)

1 comment:

bmhs said...

Yes, yes, yes!

And that's all I have to say about that.

Alex