Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Pruning (Part 2)

Okay! Listen up! You must read my previous post first - "The Pruning (Part 1)" BEFORE you read this post!!! It's a preface to the great thoughts to come now ...

Why might God plant us in less than ideal circumstances?
Check out these verses, yo!!!

Deuteronomy 30:6
"And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the hearts of your offspring, so that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live."
Circumcise: "to put off the sins of the flesh; to make holy"
Less than ideal circumstances = trials
God allows us to go through trials so that we will learn to run away from the sins that so easily trap us and to make us more like Him. The more we overcome sin, the more holy we become.

Jeremiah 29:12-14
"Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will hear you. You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile."
God allows us to go through trials so that He can teach us how to seek Him and allow us to experience the grace of His restoration in and of our lives.

Philippians 4:11-13
"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
God allows us to go through trials so that we will learn to be content in every circumstance we face and and to learn that our strength not only comes from God but that we are utterly dependent on Him for all that we could want or need.

1 Timothy 6:6-8
"Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content."
God allows us to go through trials so that we will understand that we are nothing without Him and to teach us contentment with what we have and where we are in our lives.

Awesome, right? .... Wow!
Well, let me leave you with some questions that my devotional had me answer for myself ....
What keeps you from being content within your present circumstances?
What might God want you to prune?
Prune: "to remove dead parts"
What might He want to heal, mend, or perfect in you?
How can you "bloom where you are planted" in your present circumstances?

Lamentations 3:25-26
"The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."

THE END :)

1 comment:

jan said...

I love this Mical. Very true and very encouraging. We're both in a difficult place but God is near, alive and well, and at work!
I'm going to come back to this during the day and think about the questions and do some journaling...
Jesus bless you sweetie-
Judy