Saturday, June 12, 2010

GoG 162: The Thing I Hate

Romans 7:15
"For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate." (NASB)

Can you identify with this verse? I woke up this morning thinking about this verse ... 'cause I find myself sinning rather than honoring God far more often than I'd like ... one sin in particular ... but in general too. Man. It is so disheartening sometimes. I hate it! I hate my sin! And yet I do it over and over again. Thankfully, those "disheartening" moments I just mentioned are the Holy Spirit's conviction in our lives. Wow am I thankful for conviction! If not for it, I would go on really sinning! I would not make an effort to flee my evil desires ... instead, I would just wallow in them! Bluck! Ugh! Eeww!

I was quite bummed out this morning thinking about my sin. I pulled out my Bible though ... I was just flipping through to begin with ... when I saw a note I had written to myself in the margin. It was one of those moments when you're like, "Wow, God ... way to work!" It was the SOLUTION to my sin problem! The HEART of my disHEARTened state!

The note said, "Make Jesus your complete focus - live your life in seeking Him out and for the glory of His name - and THEN you will not be overcome by your desires." This note was pointing to Galatians 5:16 - "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh."

Pretty simple, huh? I mean ... the answer is simple. The ACTION of the answer? Not so simple ... at least not in all of my depravity. But! It gave me hope this morning. It continues to give me hope! It was kind of a "duh" moment ... I mean, hello! If I'm giving into my sin, then I must not be bathing myself in God's word or spending enough time with Him or memorizing Scripture or committing myself to prayer ... 'cause if I were, I wouldn't be sinning! Putting Jesus in our hearts and allowing Him to consume our lives pushes out the bad ... it pushes out the sin!!!

So, Mical ... you're sinning? Walk in Jesus! Not just WITH Him but IN Him!!!

No comments: