Thursday, March 18, 2010

GoG 70: The "Kaycee is an Amazing Girl"

Will I ever be faithful to this thing called blogging????

Ha! If you think about it, to blog every single day is a lofty goal. I sure know how to set 'em, don't I? Ha ha! Well ... since I don't live to blog, these don't come every single day ... but weekly/biweekly isn't bad, right? Ha! Riiigghhtt ....

Anyways ...
Last Friday night, a couple of great adults from my church and I took the SoZo-ers to Acquire the Fire - a weekend event of encountering God. ... Everyone arrived in more than plenty of time to get to the event on time. But (the first of the "buts") we ended up driving back to one of kids' houses to put an extra seat in her van so that we could all right in one vehicle. But #2 - Someone forgot something at the church, so we had to stop back by there before we could head to Ball State University for the event. But #3 - There was a crash on I-69, so we had to take a longer route to get there. But #4 - There was traffic because Mical didn't think about rush hour ... and more traffic because of the crash. But #5 - It was really rainy and hard to see signs and buildings once we got to Ball State. But #6 - The directions didn't lead us to the building we were looking for, so we searched in the dark, rainy night for "Worthern Arena" ... 45 minutes of searching, which put us 30 minutes late to the event. Whew! It was an excursion to get to this place!

And in the midst of it all, I was "freaking out" a little, as I often do when things don't go as I expect them to. I made a comment like, "By the time we get there, the event will be over." To this, one of my amazing youth group girls responds with ... "Awe. Have a little faith, Mical." To which I shut up right quick! Ha! I was humbled - incredibly - by one of my youngest SoZo-ers.

Kaycee is an amazing girl. She has actually taught me a lot in the time that I've known her. I met her a few years back when she was a little 3rd grader. She was in my VBS class that summer. Now, Kaycee is in a wheelchair ... her legs don't work. She was simply born that way. And I share that fact for no other reason than to praise her all the more! Kaycee is an amazing girl, like I've already said. .... I remember being terrified when she came to my VBS class that summer. This is probably petty of me ... but I'm just being honest here ... I thought to myself, "Oh no. What do I do? This girl is in a wheelchair?!" I was nervous, wondering if she'd get to do the same activities the other kids were going to do, if she could keep up, if she would be "weird," etc., etc. Stupid, ridiculous, judgmental thoughts, I know!!!! But I was sooo blessed by her ... and so humbled because SHE BLEW ALL THE OTHER KIDS AWAY!!! Kaycee is an amazing girl (time #3)! You would NEVER know that her legs don't work! She is one of the most positive, strong (physically and emotionally!), and uplifting people I know! I am blown away by her because she is so awesome!!!! She really blows by people. .... She wheeled her wheelchair faster than any of those kids during the games at VBS. She got excited and participated better and more enthusiastically than any of those kids who could use both of their legs that summer at VBS! She was more positive, more friendly, more fun than those other kids at VBS that year. ... Kaycee is an amazing girl.

I say all of that about Kaycee to say that she humbled me last Friday night when I had no faith that the night was gonna be more than alright. And she humbles me nearly every time I see her. And she was my glimpse of grace last Friday. God's grace: Kaycee really is an amazing girl.

2 comments:

bmhs said...

Thank you for sharing about Kaycee! She sounds like another "legacy" person....:)

Alex

bmhs said...

Thank you for sharing about Kaycee! She sounds like another "legacy" person....:)

Alex