Wednesday, March 10, 2010

MOH Speech :)

Last month ... February 13, to be exact, I had the incredible privilege of being the Maid of Honor to my best friend in the entire world. Yes, believe it or not, Emily Nicole Karas (MacDonald) asked ME to be her right-hand lady! The most amazing woman in the world asked ME!!!!

I thought I'd post my Maid of Honor speech here ..... :)

For those of you who know me well, you know that I am long-winded and emotional when I talk in front of people. …. I want to say I will be neither of those things today, but I’m pretty sure I would be lying. So hang in there with me for the next few minutes … this is my best friend we’re talking about here.

And gosh …. where do you start with your best friend? ….. I’ve decided to start with a Bible verse. 1 Samuel chapter 18 talks about a friendship … probably the most distinct and intimate and cherished friendship in the whole Bible – the friendship of Jonathan and David. 1 Samuel chapter 18 verse 1 says, “Now it came about when he had finished speaking to Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved David as himself.” When I found this verse a couple years ago, I sent it to Emily, and we both agreed that it describes our friendship perfectly. It’s our BBF verse.

So … to say all of that … I not only have the privilege of carrying the title “Maid of Honor” … I have the privilege of being the BBF of Emily Nicole Karas … err, I’m sorry Emily Nicole MacDonald. BBF stands for Bosom Buddy Forever. Yes, we are that cheesy. The word “bosom” is special to Emily and me because its definition couldn’t be more spot on. The word “bosom” means “to embrace with or as with the arms; held close; intimate; cherished; dear; as a bosom friend.” Emily and I embrace at least twice every time we see each other … a hello hug and a goodbye hug. We are the most intimate of friends, sharing our heart’s deepest longings and struggles, praying for one another, and loving each other in a way I didn’t know was possible in an earthly friendship. And these examples are just a few reasons why we are bosom friends.

EmilyWem and King Barry, I am so excited for y’all. I’m not sure there is a more beautiful couple. Barry, you are one of the most upstanding, God-fearing men I have ever met. You are amazing, and I’m so excited that you belong to Emily. And Emily, you are incredible. You are my love, my other half, my #1 role-model, my bosom friend. I am so excited for the new callings God is placing on your life! ….. But I’ve told you before … I think my heart is breaking. I know you’re not dying, as you’ve told me so many times before. I know you’re not moving to Guam or some crazy, faraway place … you’re moving 5 hours away. But 5 hours is not 12 minutes to 272 Lincoln Hills. Em, until I find that future husband of mine, you have my heart. Everything feels better when you’re with me. …. When you’re simply standing in the same room with me, life is better. What am I gonna do without you? …. Oh, there’s no doubt … I will be driving 5 hours some days just so that we can make a Taco Bell run … and then head over to McDonald’s to get some BBF sweet tea. There’s no doubt that we’ll text and call … well, we may not call because we’re both afraid of phones … but Facebook … that internet do-dad will be our constant friend. And we’ll write “love notes” … as Jason likes to call them … on each other’s pages. We’ll take road trips to see each other. We’ll live and laugh and love together still … and apart from each other. BBFness doesn’t die with distance. But oh, how I’ll miss you, love.

There’s really no good way to end these kinds of sappy speeches, but I’ve carried on long enough. So … Emily MacDonald, I love you more than you will ever know. And I will end by saying just that …. I love you. And Barry and Emily, congratulations … I love you too, King Barry. Cheers!

2 comments:

bmhs said...

Awww..........

Alex

emily said...

it still makes me tear up :)
love love love you, love!