Tuesday, February 16, 2010

GoG 36: The Selfless Love

Gosh. I'm still so behind. Will I ever catch up?

Last Friday ... ha! It's been a week ago Friday by now ... I watched a video by Joshua Harris. He posed the question "Are you searching for true love?" .... His video series was all about love, trust, and purity ... concerning relationships with the opposite sex. I was watching the series to see if I could use it in youth group. We watched the first video about love, but I decided to leave out the other two for now. But last Friday, I watched the video about love before I showed it in youth group on Sunday morning. In the video, Josh gave out three points that described what true love does.

#1 - True love lays down its life for others.
#2 - True love is sincere.
#3 - True love is revealed in Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross.

The big thing I took away from these three points is that true love ... the kind of love that is forever, that does not waver in tough times or put its own desires first ... TRUE love is selfless. If you think about it ... to be #1, #2, and #3, you must be selfless. Selfishness is the root of all sin. Every sin we commit points back to our own selfishness. But TRUE love ... the kind of love that Jesus has for us and the kind of love that we should have for one another is selfless ... it has no hint of selfish ambition ... no "me, me, me" attitude ... no "I." And that is what I need to be striving for. Josh's video was pretty convicting. God's words spoken through him were just another reminder of God's grace. God wants us to learn selflessness so that we can be totally consumed with Him ... so that we can live out our purpose completely. God wants us to live in joy and in purpose ... so much so that He will bring on the conviction ... bring it until we change. He's been convicting me of a lot lately ... and I am learning more and more that His conviction is His grace in action in my life ... because without it, I would be so far from His presence, from His will, from His plan ... that I wouldn't be able to come back.

True love is selfless. How are you loving, Mical?

John 15:13 - "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."

No comments: