Tuesday, February 23, 2010

GoG 53: The Monks

I'm reading a book called Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. I'm only two chapters in ... and it is already amazing. I'm not a reader. I should be ... but I'm not. So you know this book's gotta be good! ;) Really, if you struggle with contentment, find this book! Read it fast! Heck, you can borrow it from me when I'm done, if you want. :)

Well, my glimpse of grace for today came from reading a little blurb from this book for a second time. I read the blurb when I read the chapter ... but the devotional for this week (at the end of the book) suggested I read it again. ... It was good the first time ... but the second time hit me upside the head. Ha! Wow. I'm still saying wow. ... Let me type it out for you here .......

Linda Dillow said ... "The following story of two monks helped me to put my control versus God's control into perspective."

"I need oil," said an ancient monk, so he planted an olive sapling. "Lord," he prayed, "it needs rain that its tender roots may drink and swell. Send gentle showers." And the Lord sent gentle showers. "Lord," prayed the monk, "my tree needs sun. Send sun, I pray thee." And the sun shone, gilding the dripping clouds. "Now frost, my Lord, to brace its tissues," cried the monk. And behold, the little tree stood sparkling with frost, but at evening it died.
Then the monk sought the cell of a brother monk, and told his strange experience. "I, too, planted a little tree," he said, "and see! It thrives well. But I entrust my tree to its God. He who made it knows better what it needs than a man like me. I laid no condition. I fixed not ways or means. 'Lord, send what it needs,' I prayed, 'storm or sunshine, wind, rain, or frost. Thou hast made it and Thou dost know.'"

You might want to read that story again. ;)

Here are the thoughts I wrote down in my journal after reading this little story a second time ........

The Monks:
Lord, it just hit me. Wow. I have been monk #1 all of these weeks and months. I've been crying out to you, saying, "I need a guy to help me with youth group. Lord, don't you think SoZo would be better if a really cool guy would come and help (or even take over)?" ... Ha! Although You haven't sent a guy like you sent all the sun and rain and frost for the monk, I now see that monk #1 and I have a similar mindset. We are not allowing You to be the Blessed Controller of our circumstances. Wow, Lord. .... Oh, Lord, make me more like monk #2, who surrendered his circumstances to You and trust that You were in complete control of all that his little tree needed. More and more, Lord, help me trust that You know what You're doing. Thank you, Lord, for Your faithfulness and patience. Be glorified in me.

Isn't it cool how God shows us just what we need when we need it? He loves us enough to teach us and humble us and ever remind us that we need Him. Ahh ... grace is about the coolest thing ever! :)

1 comment:

bmhs said...

Great story! Thank you for sharing it.

And we think we are so smart when we tell God what to do....ha!

His Spirit teaches us what to pray for....and Jesus showed us the pattern. THY will, not mine!
THY kingdom come, THY will be done, for THINE is the kingdom and the power and the glory.

Yes, let us surrender all to our blessed Savior.

Alex