Tuesday, January 19, 2010

GoG 18: The Grad Card

One of my earlier GoG's was about my graduation open house that I had on January 9th. Today's GoG is about a special card I got from my grad party.

My friend, Keri, is probably one of my favorite people in the whole world. She is a ton of fun, a striving mother, friend, and woman of God, and a fellow strawberry-blond. :) I've always thought that if she weren't in a separate season (ha! didn't I just talk about seasons?) of life, we would be best friends. She's an awesome woman from my church, about 9 years older than me, married, with four kids. I love her to death!!!! Every time I see her, I think, "gosh, I wish we could hang out more, talk more, be best friends, ect." No joke. Just about every time I see her I think that! She is just awesome.

Anyway ... now that you know a little about Keri ... you should know that she's the one who wrote this card. It was my favorite card of the day.

On the front of the card was a picture of a door in the side of a grassy hill. It was an open door.

And here's what she wrote in the card ....

"Mical -
This is the last card my sister-in-law made for me - she took the picture. :) Anyway, consider it an open door - a beginning of a new chapter in your life! Congratulations on your graduation. I'm proud of you for sticking it out and seeking God with tears on His direction for your life. He loves you so much - be encouraged - He knows the plans He has for you. And in the "bases sense" you've been doing His will all along: to know Him better, love Him more, share that love with others - lifting Him up. You are a wonderful girl and we are so blessed to know you - we are better people because of you.
Congrats again and may God bless you as He uses you.
Love you,
Tim, Keri, Lucy, Caleb, Will, and Sam"

This short letter was a great encouragement to me because ...
#1 - It was from Keri McRoberts, and I adore her!
#2 - It was personal ... handwritten, from the heart (those who know me well, know that I'm not a big fan of store-bought cards ... I wanna hear YOU!) :)
#3 - It was full of words of love and encouragement. Keri telling me that I have been living up to my goals of knowing Christ better and loving Him more is the greatest encouragement anyone could ever give me. Those ARE my greatest goals. And even though I do fail from time to time and I often feel like I fail in them all the time, I'm not. She is pointing out my victory in this area of my life. Yes, it's a process. It's a victory I must strive to achieve everyday. It's not a one-time thing ... knowing Jesus better and loving Him more is a life-long goal. But I'm on my way. And I am so thankful that Keri has not only been observing my life but pointing out the good that is coming out of it. Praise the Lord for being at work in me ... and for giving me cherished friends who will push me and encourage me along the way. And it's all by His grace. :)


1 comment:

bmhs said...

That is so sweet!
I agree--homemade cards are the best.

Wait--I gave you a store-bought card for graduation. So I guess I can't really say that homemade are the best and not sound hypocritical. :)

Thanks for sharing this lovely card!
Alex