Tuesday, January 5, 2010

GoG 5: The Life Blood

I love southern gospel music. I know that probably sounds cheesy to most of you ... my friends laugh at me too. ;) But it's just amazing stuff! You can't beat 4-part male harmony ... you just can't! :) ... Ernie Haase and Signature Sound are a great gospel group that I started listening to a year or two ago, and they sing a song called "Oh, What a Savior." Today, I was driving and listening to this song. There is a line in the song that is mighty powerful, and it says ... "He gave His life's blood for even me."

He gave His life's blood for even me.

Did you read that a second time? That's a really good line if you think about it. It's a good line if you don't think about it. Ha! A line. "A line" sounds like a cheap saying from some ego-strickened guy trying to pick up a girl. "He gave His life's blood for even me" is not a line. It is a saving declaration.

I love that phrase "life's blood." It really gets across the depth of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. His life's blood ... the very substance that kept Him alive was taken ... was GIVEN. Jesus GAVE His life's blood ... He gave His very life ... for me ... for tiny, insignificant, sinful me ... even me.

Usually, when I listen to that song, I get caught up in the beautiful harmonies. Yes, I think the words are great, but I often focus more on the talent of the artists than I do on the saving declaration they are proclaiming. Jesus gave His very life for me! That is big! That is huge!!! His life is our salvation!

And our salvation is something that we do not deserve ... it is something we can never deserve. And yet He gave His life's blood for even us - depraved sinners. And that, my friends, is the ultimate example of grace in action.

Ephesians 1:7-8a
In Him, we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished on us.

1 comment:

bmhs said...

Great stuff! Life's blood.

"There is power, power, wondering working power, in the blood of the lamb. There is power, power, wonder-working power, in the precious blood of the lamb."

Another good song! :)

Alex

PS I like southern gospel, too. Gaither? Ernie Haase? Mmm-hmm....:)Bluegrass, too...