Friday, January 1, 2010

GoG 1: The "all in" 2010

Alright. So we have officially started our journey! Today is January 1, 2010! Wow ... I just wrote 2009 and had to backspace. Ha! Erasing that '09' and replacing it with '10' has begun! ;) And our journey through God's grace has begun as well. I say 'we' 'cause you're gonna come with me! If you read my blog, you are (hopefully) experiencing God's grace as well in every blog post. So let's get started!

Today, I had a simple thought that helped me get a glimpse of God's grace in my life. Most of the glimpses this year will be simple, I'm sure ... because I'm a simple person. :) It's the simple things that make me the most excited much of the time. .... Today, I was brushing my teeth, getting ready for a cold day of football with some good friends ... and I stopped brushing in the middle of this thought ...

I was thinking about last night. I met with some close friends for a New Year's Eve get-together. We played games, ate some good food, and laughed a lot together. It was a good time. While I was there, though, I got to thinking about how my friendships with these friends have grown a little distant lately. They are, without a doubt, some of my best friends, but we haven't spent much time together lately ... or really talked much either. We've all just been so busy! So we haven't had (or made) the time to nurture our friendships recently. And that's where the thought started. While I was brushing my teeth, my mind connected this thought with my relationship with Jesus. ..... When I don't spend time with Him, our relationship becomes a bit distant. Just like my best friends and I haven't been staying in touch as well and have grown a little distant, so has my relationship with Jesus become distant because I haven't been really communing with Him for several months.

It's so true. Relationship is about togetherness. It's about that word communion that I threw at y'all in an earlier post ... it's about "an interchange of thoughts, about giving and receiving" ... things you can't do if you don't spend time with one another.

On Sunday, my pastor continued our study of the book of John, and toward the end of his sermon, he said three little words that I want to dedicate my life to this 2010.

I'm all in.

Yep ... this year, I want to wake up each day with "I'm all in" on my lips. I want to say "Lord, I'm yours. Use me. Mold me. Break me if need be. Just do your work in my life today. I want to be all for you." And part of that ... if not nearly all of it ... is communing with God. I can't be "all in" if I don't spend time with God. So that be the goal. :) That be the grace God showed me today. God wants to be in relationship with me. He's been calling. He's been waiting. Which is grace in action. Grace is getting what we don't deserve. I don't deserve a God who wants to be in relationship with me so badly that He'll wait forever for me to come around if He needs to. He patiently waits at the door of my heart, gently knocking, saying "If you'd only let me in, you could have a life more abundant than you could ever imagine."

God's grace. Thank you, Jesus.
So today and everyday, Lord ... I'm all in.

John 10:10
... "Jesus came that we may have life and have it abundantly."

1 comment:

bmhs said...

Great post!
I'm ready for GoG! :) A new Mical thought every day--hurrah!

I'm all in. I love this phrase!
I want to remember that, too, when I wake up in the morning. Here we go, God--I'm all in!

I found something I wrote last year about "life abundantly".

The word used to “life” in this passage (John 10:10) is the Greek word “zōē”.

This isn’t referring to physical life, or an abundance of physical goods. This refers to life of the spirit and soul. “Bios” is the Greek word for physical life, but zōē is considered the higher, nobler word. In the words of Spiros Zodhiates, zōē “express[es] all of the highest and best which Christ is and which He gives to the saints.”

Zōē is the word used in John 14:6, when Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the LIFE.”

He is vibrancy of spiritual health. He is the only thing that delivers us from our utter spiritual deadness. He is the life! Is He your LIFE?

The thief (the enemy, that is, the devil) comes to steal and kill and destroy. He comes to do the exact opposite that Christ comes to do. The devil seeks to kill off the life of God—that life of spirit and soul—in a believer. He comes to destroy the growth, to snatch away the seed that does not penetrate. (remember the parable of the sower, and the seed sown on the path? It does not get planted in the soil, and the devil snatches it away. He is a thief.) Satan wants to steal away from the riches that are ours in Christ Jesus.

Don’t let him. Give no quarter to his insidious activities. Cling to Jesus Christ and all the richness that is in Him. Learn of His promises and His power, and daily stand upon those. Be strong in the might of His power! Be filled with His LIFE!

Look at Colossians 3:3-4:
“For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.”

Same word! Zōē. We're All In for LIFE!