Friday, January 22, 2010

GoG 21: The Mr. Cory

Behind again. I have a feeling this is gonna happen all 365 days ... ha ha!

Thursday's glimpse of grace came in the form of one sentence.

"It's always good to see you."

An amazing guy named "Mr.Cory," as we kidos and helpers call him, visited us at after school on Thursday. He leads the Bible study for the kids on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so I see him every Wednesday but not usually on Thursdays. It's always a great surprise when he pops in on Thursdays from time to time.

Cory is probably one of the coolest and greatest men I know. I've said before (mostly to myself) that if he were 10 or 15 years younger and single, I'd marry him in a heartbeat! He's just awesome! He works in kids' ministry and has a great passion for it. Loves the Lord with all he's got and really "gets it" about Jesus ... he's not just a fire insurance kind of Christian - he is a mighty follower of Jesus Christ. He is a big kid in a lot of ways too, so he works well with the kids. He's got a loud personality that just screams Jesus and fun! He's just great. ... I've been working with him through the after school program for almost a year and a half, and he's just one of those people that brings joy to your heart when you see him.

On Thursday afternoon, he was sitting at the table eating dinner with the kids, and I was standing across the table. He looked at me and said, "Miss Mical, how are you doing?" And then he smiled at me and said, "It's always good to see you." And I could tell that he really meant it. ... And I told him the same 'cause I love it when he comes to after school - he lifts my spirit just by being in the building! His passion for the Lord and fun-loving personality are amazing! I wish I could work alongside him more often. I hold him in such high esteem. And for him to say, "It's always good to see you" was a great encouragement ... and it really gave me a glimpse of God's grace in my life.

I usually only see Mr. Cory once a week ... and it's usually only for about a half an hour. He comes just in time for the Bible study and leaves shortly thereafter. He's a busy kids' minister at College Park Church in Indianapolis. And he serves so often and across broad projects on the Eastside. We've had a number of conversations about inner city ministry, what I wanna do with my life ... and a couple of "Mical, I can see you here on the Eastside" and "Mical, I've seen real character in you" kinds of conversations. It has been a tremendous blessing getting to know him and working with him in ministry. He truly is an inspiration and an amazing man of God. Ha! Can you tell I think this guy is cool? :D ....

God allows these kinds of people in my life everywhere I go. I get to work with my pastor in ministry. I've worked with my youth pastors, Michael and Shelley. Mr. Doug and Mr. Derrick from after school. James Nilsen. Tim and Keri McRoberts. And Mr. Cory. All of these people have been a huge blessing in my ministry life. God loves me enough to allow me to work alongside amazing men and women of God in His heart's desire - people. And not only that ... but these people love and appreciate me in the process. They encourage me and provide opportunities for ministry. It's an amazing blessing to work with such people ... and it's just another sign of God's grace in action in my life each day.

No comments: